Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Ahhh.....Hawaii

Justin and I just came back from spending a week in Hawaii with Paula Jean and David. It was a well needed break from the norm and we had a fantastic time!

Our first stop, the island of Kauai. The first evening in Kauai we just bought food (if you think food prices have gone up, go to Hawaii to appreciate your food prices!), checked into our room and wandered the island finding a good beach. We awoke the next morning to beautiful scenery and of course, Justin fishing.

We then headed up to the North Shore and took in the beautiful sights of Hanalei Bay and the beginning of the Napali Coast. We set up camp for the day at Tunnels Beach and swam, snorkeled, laid out, snork-fished (my made up word for Justin snorkeling while fly fishing at the same time. It was very entertaining to watch), swimming with turtles, eating raw, gross coconuts, and getting burned. (I'll add a few more pictures later from the beach that Paula Jean took. It was an awesome beach!)



Friday we kayaked up a river, hiked into Secret Falls, checked out Poipu beaches, snorkeled, and tested out the hot tub at the Marriott Resort (for future reference).



Saturday Justin flew out early to spend the day with his brother Mike in Maui. They had a great time snorkeling, rope swinging in a waterfall, exploring Maui, eating octopus, fishing, body surfing, and eating at Mike's beautiful restaurant. (No wonder he came back tired! Thanks Mike!) Paula Jean, David and I took a stroll on a cruiser bike and tandem bike. (Talk about entertaining. Paula Jean and I were down right scary on that bike!!) We then flew to Oahu and snorkeled Hanamu Bay and enjoyed the nightlife scenes in Waikiki.




Sunday we went to church, picked up Justin from the airport, toured Pearl Harbor and hung out on the West side of the island.


Monday was our "we have to do as much as we can in one day" day. Justin and David started the day off in a cage 3 miles off the coast of the North Shore surrounded by sharks! They took an incredible Hawaii shark encounters tour and loved it. Justin said as a litttle kid he alwyas wanted to be like those guys in National Geographic. Well he had his chance and even grabbed the fin of one of the 18 feet Tiger sharks. Am I the only one amazed that Justin has only lost the tip of his thumb so far in his life? Meanwhile, Paula Jean and I found a nice beach, layed out, played cards, and enjoyed the scenery!



Then we headed to the awesome Shark Cove for a quick snorkel expedition, showered at the beach and spent the rest of the day at the Polynesian Cultural Center.




Tuesday was spent doing last minute shopping, hanging out on the beach and trying to soak in the last few rays of sunshine!
Thanks Paula Jean and David for a fantastic time. (the word "Poipu" will never be the same). Thanks Mike for a great time in Maui. Thanks Mom for helping with the kids and letting us use the time share. Thanks Gail and Marilyn for helping out with our girls. And thanks Honey for letting me talk you into taking wonderful vacations!

5 comments:

Jas and Mandy said...

Great photos guys! Looks like you had a great time! Maybe one day we can all go back to Hawaii together!

Ginger and Gregg said...

Looks like a fun time! Glad you got to do so many cool things. Definetely out of the norm!

Tendra said...

Hey Lynette!

I'm here with Jayden and Kyler who were excited to see the pictures of the shark tank. They just added something new to their lists of things they want to do when they grow up. And they want to know what was happening to the shark that is upside down in the picture... Cool pictures - what an awesome trip!

David said...

WOW! What a fun trip! I think I need one of those right about January to break up the long MI winters!

The Breckons said...

Oh Lynettie!! THE MEMORIES!! I am definitely going back w/ my honey (we are planning on next year)! It was so FUN to see all your pics ... keep posting them! By the way -- I have seen SO many deer here (like several every other day) and every time I think "this must be Justin's paradise!"
So glad you had such a great time! Miss ya!